Looking for a few healthy snacks for weight loss? Well, you’ve come to the right place my friend!
There is plenty of misinformation floating around out there, so our aim here is to share the Top 9 Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss so you can begin losing weight and feeling better. If you want more ideas on losing weight naturally and quickly, I highly recommend you take a look at our new Free Report on weight loss.
Snacking is a great way to keep you body’s metabolism going – as long as the snack is healthy! Think about your body like a campfire, where the fire represents your metabolism. To keep the ‘fire’ (your metabolism) going, you need to continually feed it fuel. It doesn’t do very much good to heap piles of trash on the fire 3 times a day – you’re much better off putting nice clean wood on the fire at regular intervals.
This is where healthy snacks for weight loss come in: you can lose weight and keep it off by continually ‘stoking’ the fire that is your metabolism. Plus, you don’t want to get too hungry in between meals and go all out of control with a bunch of Snickers bars! Remember: try not to feed your body trash! Junk food definitely hits some buttons in the brain that feel good, but it does not satisfy the body. Healthy snacks for weight loss make a great fuel, and here are some of the best ones.
The Top 9 Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss
- Fruit – You choose your favorite! This can be pretty much any fruit you like, I don’t have to be very specific here. While high in sugar, fruit contains natural sugars that are very different from the high fructose corn syrup found in so much food these days. Don’t go absolutely crazy with eating fruit as a healthy snack for weight loss, but feel free to use any fruit as one more weapon in your weight loss arsenal! Remember to mix it up so you don’t get burned out on eating one particular type of fruit
- Gum – “Huh?” Ok, I’m not advocating you actually eat the gum, but think about it for a moment: the chewing sensation, combined with having flavor in your mouth, can be enough to get you through to the next meal sometimes. This reason this works is because many times when we reach for a snack we only think we’re hungry. Junk food snacking can simply become a habit or a distraction. If that’s you, try going for a piece of gum next time the urge for a snack hits you.
- Nuts & Seeds – You really can’t go wrong here. Sunflowers, almonds, peanuts (not too salty!), and other nuts and seeds are all great healthy snacks for weight loss. Yes, they may contain some fat, but it’s the kind of fat that your body metabolizes very well. Plus, your body actually needs fat to function, even though we’ve all been conditioned to fear the F word! (the 3 letter one silly!) Just make sure you’re getting unsalted nuts and seeds, you don’t want to spike your sodium intake by ingesting the massive amounts of salt that often accompany these types of snacks. You see, nuts and seeds contain monosaturated fat, which is actually good for you. They also contain vitamin E, which fights a whole range of ailments.
- Popcorn – Didn’t expect to see this one? Well, that’s probably because when you think popcorn you think “Blockbuster movie and gallons of fake butter on top!” – This is not the kind of popcorn we’re talking about here! Natural, “naked” popcorn – the kind without all the salt and butter – is actually still pretty darn tasty, and makes a great snack. This snack even travels and keeps very well, as long as you can find a microwave to pop it in!
- Frozen Juice Bars – If you love ice cream (I’m guilty!), then you will love the frozen juice bar as a healthy snack. Make sure you use natural juice, not that fake crap you see everywhere. This is also a great healthy snack for kids as well. They don’t travel very well, but nothing beats a nice juice bar in the summer!
- Beef Jerky – Again, there’s good and bad here. Slim Jim doesn’t fall into the category of healthy snacks for losing weight! However, you can find all natural beef (or turkey) jerky, and it makes one heck of a healthy snack. This is one of those snacks that doesn’t feel like a ‘diet’ either! It’s full of flavor, and full of protein – both great! A word of caution: check to make sure the sodium levels aren’t too high, that’s no good for you.
- Fruit Smoothies – along the lines of #1 above, fruit smoothies are a healthy, delicious way to get a snack in, or even replace a greasy breakfast with. Remember, fruit does contain sugar, so if you’re trying to drastically reduce your sugar intake, go easy on the fruit. However, your body handles the natural sugar in fruit very well, so fruit smoothies are definitely a delicious healthy snack that will also help you lose weight!
- Veggies – Just like yo mama told ya: Eat your veggies! Kidding aside, just about any vegetables you eat will make a great healthy snack. Use your own judgement here – some folks can’t stand carrots, while other love them, just use your own palate to decide. A word of warning: don’t douse your vegetables in fatty ranch dressing! If you do this, you may be offsetting the weight loss benefits you’d be getting by eating vegetables in the first place. When it comes to losing weight, we’re often our own worst enemies, so I just thought I would throw that word of caution in there for good measure 🙂 Broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, jicama (similar to apple but less sweet), and plenty of other vegetables all make great healthy snacks. The bonus? They’re dirt cheap to buy!
- Low Fat Yogurt – Real yogurt (not the stuff with fruit at the bottom) is actually good for you and makes for a great healthy snack. When consumed as art part of a healthy diet, low fat yogurt can make a great alternative to ice cream.
Bonus Natural Weight Loss Tip: Drink plenty of water! While the snacks above will help you lose weight, you want your body working in an optimal condition at all times. Staying well hydrated is one of the easiest things you can do to stay healthy, have better skin, have a better attitude, and lose weight. Having trouble remembering to drink water? I recommend picking up a few gallons of distilled water from your grocery store and bringing it to work. People may make comments about it, but you’ll be healthier than them! That means you win.